Friday, July 09, 2010

I strike again!

Last nights dinner...another huge success!  I am on such a roll that I am scaring myself.  I fear that I will not be able to keep this up and we will have to turn back to a life of frozen chicken nuggets and canned veggies!

I am sure everyone - minus Aiden - hopes not!

Grilled Steak with Basil Puree over Tuscan Beans

1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup EVOO
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1 lb. 1/2 inch thick sirloin steak
2 15.5 oz. can white beans (rinsed and drained)
1 cup grape tomatoes (halved)
1 cup fresh chopped basil

In a food processor (or blender in my case since my food processor has suspiciously disappeared since we moved into this house!!) combine the lemon juice, olive oil, basil, 1 garlic clove, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. of black pepper.  Puree until smooth and set aside.
I will tell on myself here.  We have a basil plant on the back porch.  I was under the impression that there were much more leaves on said plant than actually existed.  I didn't have a cup - barely even had a half of a cup.  I did, however, have some left over cilantro...so I added that.  It was good...really good.  Sometimes mistakes taste delicious!
Heat your grill to medium high and mist with a cooking spray.  Cut one of your remaining garlic cloves in half and rub onto your steaks.
Season with salt and pepper then grill for 5-6 minutes per side.  (The actual time will vary on the thickness of your steaks and your desired doneness, of course!)
Mince your remaining clove of garlic and saute in a pan with some cooking spray.  Add your beans and tomatoes just long enough to warm through.
Divide the beans among 4 plates and top with the steak.  Drizzle the puree over the top and serve.

This was really a delicious dinner.  It was so flavorful and really filling.  Husband even said that the more he ate the more he wanted.  That's always a good sign.

(PS - My plate really wasn't as dirty as it looks.  Gross!)

I hope you try this out.  If you do, let me know what you think!

Nutritional Information:
478 calories/ 35 grams Protein/ 32 grams Carbs/ 28 grams Fat (7.5 sat.)/ 11 grams Fiber

No comments: